Reducing screen glare is important for many reasons. Not only does it make your screen easier to see, but it can also help to reduce eye fatigue and improve your productivity. It is a similar topic as how to reduce screen glare on TV, but especially for home office users, we cover mainly how to reduce glare on laptop screens or standalone monitors.
There are different ways to reduce screen glare in your home office. In particular, if you’re working in a bright environment, an anti-glare screen protector can help to minimize reflections and improve the contrast of your screen. Consider an Anti-Glare Screen Protector also if you adjust your setup of your Computer Monitor in your home office.
Additionally, you should also consider my tips if you ask yourself how to reduce glare on computer screen outdoors.
Why does your Computer Monitor reflect light?
Before we dive into the details of how to avoid screen glare let me shortly explain the Problem. Screen glare is the result of light reflecting off the screen. It can be a problem for people who use their screens in bright environments, and for those who use their screens at night.
There are two types of screen glare – direct and indirect:
- Direct glare is caused by light sources that are close to the screen, such as from a window or desk lamp.
- Indirect glare is caused by light sources that are farther away from the screen, such as sunlight coming through a window or fluorescent lighting.
1. Adjusting the Brightness and Contrast
A easy way to reduce screen glare is by adjusting the brightness and contrast of your monitor. If your screen is too bright, it will create more glare, so try lowering the brightness level. If the contrast is too high, it can also cause glare, so try lowering the contrast setting as well.
How to achieve that? Click the system menu on the right side of the top bar to change the screen brightness. Adjust now the screen brightness to the desired setting. The modification must go into effect right now.
2. Change the angle of your screen
To reduce screen glare, how should the screen be positioned? Try changing the angle of your screen. Sometimes glare can be caused by light coming in from windows or other sources behind you, so try tilting your screen to reduce the amount of light that is hitting it straight on.
3. Use anti-glare screen protectors
A glare screen protector is a thin film that’s placed over the screen of your device in order to protect it from scratches and other damage. They’re typically made from plastic or glass, and they can help to keep your screen in good condition over time.
Screen protectors are important for a variety of reasons. Not only do they help to keep your screen safe from scratches and other damage, but they can also help to reduce glare and improve visibility. If you’re looking for a way to improve the clarity of your screen and reduce eye fatigue, a quality screen protector is a great option.
There are a variety of different types of screen protectors available, so you can find one that fits well with your needs and preferences. Some of the most common types include:
Anti-glare screen protectors: These protectors are designed to limit the amount of light that’s reflected off of your screen, making it easier to see what’s on your display. They come in a variety of different styles, so you can find one that fits well with your needs and preferences.
- Privacy screen protectors: these protectors help to keep your data safe by obscuring the view of your screen from those who are standing nearby. This can be helpful if you’re working on confidential information and don’t want others to be able to see what’s on your screen.
- Matte screen protectors: These protectors are designed to reduce glare and reflections, making your screen easier to see in bright environments. They come in a variety of different colors, so you can find one that matches the look of your device.
- Glass screen protectors: These protectors are made from shatter-resistant glass, which can help to keep your device safe from scratches and other damage. They’re typically more expensive than other types of protectors, but they offer the highest level of protection for your device.
4. Use a Monitor Sunhood
A very effective way to reduce sun glare on monitor is a monitor hood. A monitor hood is a device that attaches to the top of your monitor and helps reduce glare by shading the screen. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so be sure to choose one that’s compatible with your monitor.
Most of those Monitor hoods are highly efficient when it comes to shielding and eliminate most of the effects of ambient light or reflections, especially from overhead or next to the monitor light.
5. Use a Task Light
A task light is a small light that attaches to the top of your monitor and helps reduce screen glare by lighting up the area directly in front of your screen. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so be sure to choose one that’s compatible with your monitor.
But be careful – Place the task light where it can do the most good. This may seem obvious, but placement is important when it comes to effective and comfortable task lighting. For example, placing a task light in front of a monitor will create an unpleasant glare.
Some people use a screenbar to reduce glare from their computer screens. A screenbar is just a strip of material that attaches magnetically to your monitor and blocks off any light that might be hitting your eyes from behind.
You can reduce screen glare in several ways, depending on your situation. You can adjust the brightness and contrast, change the angle of your screen, use a glare protector filter, or use a monitor sunhood. If these methods don’t work for you, then consider using a task light to help direct light onto your screen from a different angle.